Thursday, April 12, 2012

How much is that Brian in the window?


When I paid a visit to West Edmonton Mall (WEM) in the summer of 2011, it was my first time there since 1987. The Mall had definitely changed but in many ways it has stayed the same. One of my favourite stores back in the day was Mr. Entertainment, a retail franchise offering instruments, sheet music, and related paraphernalia.

One thing that did change after a 24-year hiatus was the name of this store which was now known as The Rock Shop. I must admit, though, that that name struck me more as a jewelry store or precious stone museum. But no, it was the old Mr. Entertainment outlet repackaged under a new moniker. (At least that was the story I got from the sales clerk when I stopped in.)

Out of curiosity, I asked him if he had any Queen items in the store since I didn’t even see any sheet music of theirs for sale. To my surprise, he pointed to the glass display case behind me and said that this…



Brian May pedal was actually on sale for $250, which is half of what the retail price is. I was giving serious thought to shelling out the cash but in the end decided it was too much for a spontaneous purchase.

I found myself rethinking the purchase though when my wife went to Edmonton a few months ago with her co-workers and she asked me if there was anything I wanted from the Mall.

Well . . . there is one thing.

I gave her the details on what the item was but had to look up the exact store location on the WEM website. To my surprise, the storefront photo of The Rock Shop on the Mall’s website looked like this:

Holy shit, is that a life-sized cardboard display of Brian? How come I didn’t see it in the store when I was there last summer? Maybe it was a new display? Whatever the case, I told my wife to look for “Brian” in the window.

It turns out he’s not there anymore, so WEM must not have updated their website in at least a year.

Damn, I wonder what store management did with the cardboard display? That would have been a cool collector’s item.


http://www.wem.ca/#/store-directory-maps/photo-music-books-stationery/the-rock-shop
http://wonderverb.wordpress.com/2007/04/10/digitech-brian-may-artist-signature-model-pedal/


.

No comments:

Post a Comment